Looking for the ultimate summer drop - try our FIVE STAR rated 2023 Two Paddocks Pinot Noir Rosé.  Shop here

Two Paddocks Pinot Noir - 2013

Tasting Notes

Ripe red fruit, violet, spice and some blackcurrant brooding aromatics. This wine shows a beautiful soft and rich palate with a lovely elegant drive and persistence.

About the Wine

About the wine

The flagship from Two Paddocks - an Estate Grown, barrel selection produced from three small Neill family vineyards in Central Otago. These vineyards are high-density planted in a range of clonal material and intensively manhandled with most vineyard practices carried out by hand. As in the vineyard, the wine is hand crafted using traditional methods including a 25% whole bunch indigenous fermentation and hand plunging. It is then matured in French barriques for 11 months, using a mix of older and new (25%) barrels.

Estate Vineyard composition: 50 % Red Bank - Alexandra, 34% The Last Chance – Alexandra, 16% The First Paddock – Gibbston.

Vintage Comments

A good start to the season with healthy well balanced canes being laid on all three vineyard blocks with appropriate bud numbers, but growing then got off to a slow start with cooler than normal temperatures in late spring. The resulting bunches from the cooler spring were of average size but made up of very small berries, which regardless of clone and rootstock ripened at much the same time after a very warm and dry autumn. March was the warmest March we have on record. Additionally there was not the normal large diurnal shift this autumn tending much more to range between 5 degrees over night to 25 degrees during the day. This seemed to be the catalyst for lovely even ripening and carried on until harvest in mid April – early May.

Hand harvested, 75% de-stemmed and given 5-7 pre-fermentation cold maceration. After an indigenous ferment the wine is given another 5-7 days post ferment time on skins. Wine is then transferred to 1-4 (25% new oak) year old French medium toast barriques for a 10 month maturation, before racking and bottling.

PH Level3.48
Total Acidity5.9g/l
Alcohol13%
BottledMarch 2014
Cellaring2014-2023
WinemakerDean Shaw
ViticulturistMike Wing
Total Production1200 cases

Reviews & Awards

Jancis Robinson MW, The Financial Times
16 Points
Fresh, sweet, glacé cherry fruit that's delightfully friendly, fresh and lively. Easy peasy to like and admire - until one tastes its smarter siblings. At the winery, the 2014 is the current release but this is still a charmer.
This supple, silky Pinot will win friends for the variety. Bold plum and cherry fruit is sappy and spicy, with ample weight in the mouth and a long mouthwatering finish.
Intense bright purple cherry fruits, plums, lots and lots of strawberries and raspberries and some maraschino; there is such depth on the nose. The palate has beautifully soft and supple tannins that sit smooth and even. This is flavorsome, tidy and balanced.
The lovely 2013 vintage (5*) is the finest yet. Grown in the company's vineyards at Alexandra (84 per cent) and Gibbston (12 per cent), it was matured for 10 months in French oak casks (25 per cent new). Instantly attractive, it is sweet-fruited and youthful, with rich, vibrant cherry, plum and spice flavours, showing good complexity, and obvious potential. Savoury, supple and very harmonious, it should be at its best 2016+.
Bold and expressive bouquet that captures the scents of plush and juicy ripe red fruit, a dry stone and schist-like minerality and Otago sweet air laced with new and older oak. On the palate – dry, but immediately juicy with red fruit and plenty of acidity; medium+ fine tannins add texture and complexity; longish finish, expertly crafted.    
GOLD95 Points
A blend of Gibbston and Earnscleugh/Alexandra grapes showing typical herby, savoury characters of these two cool Otago sub-regions but enveloped in lush plum/cherry fruit flavours. The net effect is very appealing - quite burgundy-like and a real pleasure to drink.
18.5+ Points
Very dark ruby-red. Youthfully primary and tight with dark red berry fruits lifted by floral perfumes. Unfolds complexing whole bunch notes. Beautifully succulent fruit, sweet and aromatic, with layers of floral and herb nuances. Finesse on palate with fine tannins. Exudes class.

Be The First To Know It All

Keep up to date with all of the latest goings on at Two Paddocks. Enter your details below to sign up for our newsletter.
Subscription Form

Contact Us

EMAIL
[email protected]

PHONE
+64 3 449 2756

TWO PADDOCKS LTD.
PO Box 506
Alexandra 9340
Central Otago
New Zealand

License

Sale of Liquor License Ref: OF129
Licence No. 67/OFF/30/2022
Expires 24th August 2025

magnifiercrossmenuchevron-down linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram