NZ Organic Wine Awards: 'Sustainable Vineyard of the Year 2024' plus 2 Gold and 2 Silver Medals. Full details

The Last Chance Pinot Noir - 2003

About the wine

Single Vineyard Pinot

This Pinot Noir from our Alex Paddock, is named after the gold miners' watercourse that runs through the heart of the vineyard. Here in this small vineyard, perched in clean bright air on a promontory above the austere and beautiful Earnscleugh Valley, the grapes ripen slowly over a long season characterised by cold nights and warm long summer days. In the winery, as in the vineyard, the wine is made by hand, using traditional methods, and aged in small French oak barriques. The result is a classic Central Otago Pinot; elegant and voluptuous, with clean vivid fruit, fragrant and delicate aromatics and a seductive richness and texture.

Tasting Notes

Spicy, thyme, Doris plum with chargrilled pepper aromatics. This wine has a velvety texture with lots of elegance and a soft lingering finish. This wine will reward medium to long cellaring.

Vintage and Harvest Notes: After a mild winter and relatively early spring, the weather changed to cooler and a little wetter than normal. The cool weather slowed the advent of flowering, which was delayed until around December 10th. Then kinder weather prevailed and produced a solid flowering.

Some real Central Otago sunshine finally kicked in at the start of January and turned the season around. We experienced some long sustained warm periods punctuated by short, very cold periods, and many light frosts towards the end of the season. This excellent weather helped to lift the flavour profile and colour of the berries.

Harvesting at Alexandra occurred on April 23-25, 2003.

Winemakers Notes: When the vines reached full production and became more in harmony with their surroundings, the fruit was picked in excellent condition and with wonderful flavour profiles. Four different fermentation's were made with the fruit picked primarily by clonal difference. Approximately 20% whole bunch fermentation was undertaken. All ferments started with natural yeast strains after 7 days of cold soak. Average fermentation was 25 days. 25% was then placed into new French oak, the other 75% was placed into older french oak casks. Bottled 7th April 2004.

Drink: 2005 – 2009

Vineyard: Stephen and Jim Moffitt. Winemaker: Dean Shaw

Reviews & Awards

Two Paddocks is the enterprise of actor Sam Neill in New Zealand’s Central Otago region. The ‘03 may be his best pinot noir. It has fragrant plum, spice and undergrowth aromas, with some savoury meaty strength. The palate has a satin feel with moderate intensity of flavour and a long, soft, savoury finish.Ageing? Drink over two years, plusFood ideas: Grilled herbed chicken; veal scalopine
Exerpt from an article entitled Premier Crew: The Rise of Celebrity Wine-makers By Richard EhrlichThis is in a different league from the other wines. New Zealand's Central Otago district makes world-class Pinot Noir, and this is one of them. A pure expression of the grape's qualities, silky-smooth on the palate with a multitude of enticing berry flavours in addition to the sweet cherries that are a hallmark of this grape. Abundant, lip-smacking acidity keeps the flavours fresh, and ageing in French oak adds a smoky lustre. Drop-dead gorgeous, the best in this bunch by far. 
18.5 Points
[screwcap; 7 days cold-soak, wild yeast, 20% whole-bunch fermentation, 25 days cuvaison, c. 10 months in French oak 25%]Good pinot noir ruby. Bouquet is total pinot, the florals of boronia and dusky roses, black cherries, deep, quieter than the Carrick, yet beautifully varietal. Palate shows a wine where fruit quality is uppermost, not dominated by oak, beautiful crunchy cherry fruit, long flavours recapturing the florals on bouquet, all really burgundian. Not quite the palate weight of the Carrick, though. Cellar 5 – 10 years.

Be The First To Know It All

Keep up to date with all of the latest goings on at Two Paddocks. Enter your details below to sign up for our newsletter.
Subscription Form

Contact Us

[email protected]

+64 3 449 2756

PO Box 506
Alexandra 9340
Central Otago
New Zealand


Sale of Liquor License Ref: OF129
Licence No. 67/OFF/30/2022
Expires 24th August 2025

magnifiercrossmenuchevron-down linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram