NEW RELEASE 2021 Proprietor's Reserves now available - limited quantities so secure yours now. Shop here

Two Paddocks Pinot Noir Rosé 2023

Tasting Notes

Vibrant aromatics of bright redcurrant, crushed raspberry, guava and spicy ripe mango characters give way to an elegantly textured mouthfeel showing schist minerality and red tropical fruit, with a freshly driven finish and flow.Food Matching: Deliberately produced to work well with food. We recommend salmon, tuna, venison, lamb and soft cheese.

About the Wine

A favourite of the of Proprietor, this is a fresh, dry, cerise expression of Central Otago Pinot Noir with textural depth that works well with food. Estate grown and hand harvested from The Fusilier Bannockburn vineyard on the 29th March and the Alexandra sites on the 13th April 2023.

Vintage Comments

A mild, wet 2022 winter meant soils held a lot of water going into the spring and inter-row companion crops including clover, phacelia and barley got off to a strong start. Early spring was very cold and then as spring warmed up in November shoot growth was strong. Flowering started the first week in December and fruit set was considered good on most blocks. Mid-summer heat was high and growing degree days were above those in 2022 and on par with 2019 by the end of the season.

Picking dates were moving forward until the second half of March when the heat ran out and the final ripening was slow and cool. Harvest started on the 27th of March at Redbank Vineyard and finished on the 21st of April at The First Paddock, Gibbston. Cropping levels were just short of the optimum 2022 crop.

FROM THE WINEMAKER: Destemmed and steeped on skins for 3-4 days for aromatics and colour extraction before being lightly pressed in to a stainless steel vessel for 55% of the ferment - and older French barriques for the remaining 45%.

An indigenous yeast fermentation took approximately 6-8 weeks at 16-22 degrees Celsius. The wine then rested on fine lees for 3 months before being combined together. There was no malolactic fermentation undertaken. Finally, the wine was filtered just prior to bottling for clarity, brightness and balance. The sub-regional vineyard composition is 57% Bannockburn and 43% Alexandra.

BottledAugust 2023
WinemakerDean Shaw
ViticulturistMike Wing
Total Production361 cases
PH Level3.18
Total Acidity6.3g/l
Alcohol13%
Cellaring2023 - 2025

Reviews & Awards

Mark Henderson, Otago Daily Times
Excellent to Outstanding
Deeper colour than the current trend. The nose swells with fruit jube, dried strawberry, cherry and an attractive savoury quality. The palate takes these notes and ramps them up, savoury aspects evident, adding plum and a whisper of peppery spice, pomegranate & cranberry later. Fruit sweeness, snapped into line by crisp acidity. A crossover into light red territory. Delicious.
Michael Cooper, The Listener
"A distinctive wine, fresh and vibrant, with rich, cherryish flavours."Certified organic, the very youthful 2023 vintage was estate-grown and hand-harvested at Bannockburn (57 per cent) and Alexandra (43 per cent), and handled in a mix of tanks (55 per cent) and seasoned French oak barriques (45 per cent). Bright pink/light red, it is a distinctive wine, fresh and vibrant, with rich, cherryish flavours, lively acidity and a dry (2-3 grams/litre of residual sugar) finish. Still unfolding, it is vigorous and finely balanced, offering top drinking during 2024.
SILVER94 Points
Flavoursome rosé with succulent cherry, plum and raspberry flavours. A perfect balance of very subtle fruit sweetness and refreshing acidity gives a pleasantly dry finish. This is a serious rosé. Drinking 2023 - 2026

Be The First To Know It All

Keep up to date with all of the latest goings on at Two Paddocks. Enter your details below to sign up for our newsletter.
Subscription Form

Contact Us

EMAIL
[email protected]

PHONE
+64 3 449 2756

TWO PADDOCKS LTD.
PO Box 506
Alexandra 9340
Central Otago
New Zealand

License

Sale of Liquor License Ref: OF129
Licence No. 67/OFF/30/2022
Expires 24th August 2025

magnifiercrossmenuchevron-down linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram